THE BENEFITS OF BEING A NORTHEAST KINGDOM CHAMBER MEMBER
The Northeast Kingdom Chamber of Commerce, a chamber based out of St. Johnsbury with about 350 members, has business partnerships throughout the tri-county region known as the Northeast Kingdom - the counties of Caledonia, Essex and Orleans. The Northeast Kingdom Chamber is the largest and only full-service chamber in the region, handling travel promotion, community/economic development, legislative/governmental relations, business training and promotion of regional projects. The NEK Chamber displays member brochures in our brochure racks at the Green Mountain Mall.
The NEK Chamber handles an estimated 60,000 phone, mail, relocation/business relocation and visitor inquiries per year. These inquiries result from strong and aggressive advertising, brochure production and distribution efforts, visitor services and coordination with other chambers of commerce and business associations. The chamber also sends out hundreds of relocation packets each year.
THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM’S NEWLY REDESIGNED WEB SITE
As a member of the Northeast Kingdom Chamber, members are given a free listing, description, picture and web site & e-mail links on the web site, the most extensive in the region. Visitors to our web site can find detailed tourism, relocation/business relocation, regional, business and chamber information. And the site is one of the Kingdom’s best web resource guides, hands down, for tourism and business inquiries. A site redesign in 2011 has included many improvements, including more streamlined routes to find the information you need. And each and every page of the new web site has been professionally optimized to ensure the site attracts as many visitors as possible. Chamber members can promote their businesses through reasonably priced web banner ads and Platinum page listings. Check us out on Facebook, Twitter and the chamber’s blog.
The chamber sends notices to its members electronically about every two weeks. The newsletter includes information on events, member news and achievements, workshop details and chamber updates. Each is distributed to more than 500 businesspeople within the region. Chamber members can submit materials to the newsletter for free. This is a great way to promote your business to the greater chamber membership at no cost. In addition, members may place a logo style ad, including a hyper-link to their web site from the newsletter at a low cost.
The Northeast Kingdom Chamber publishes an 80-page directory of chamber members that is distributed to members and to individuals, both locally and in response to requests coming from all over the nation. Members get a free listing in the directory and the opportunity to advertise in the publication at low cost. The Annual Membership Directory is also located online and updated frequently on the chamber web site, www.nekchamber.com.
The Northeast Kingdom Chamber prints and distributes more than 50,000 brochures per year. The chamber aggressively promotes its own members and region through its brochures and web site. The chamber believes membership in the Northeast Kingdom Chamber and its initiatives and the additional association with the Northeast Kingdom Travel & Tourism Association makes a great one-two marketing/promotional punch for members.
Tourism & Services Guide & Map - About 50,000 printed each year. Distributed to all rest areas, all tourism/relocation inquiries, co-op advertising efforts, mailings and travel & trade shows, etc.
SEMINARS AND WORKFORCE TRAINING
Classes and training are done in conjunction with area business and professional people, as well as guest experts on subjects of interest to our members. Please let us know if you would like to hold a seminar on a particular topic.
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
The Northeast Kingdom Chamber sponsors and organizes a number of events throughout the year including:
- Annual Meeting - Held in late winter. Features a business speaker and awards to members for business improvements. About 225 to 250 members attend.
- Monthly Legislative Breakfasts / Chamber Briefings - Held the last Monday of each month during the legislative session. Members and the public hear updates from our local legislators and get the chance to ask questions.
- Business For Business Monthly Networking Sessions - Held throughout the year. Gives chamber members the opportunity to network with fellow businesses on their services & products.
- Colors of the Kingdom Festival - A one-day event in mid-September, featuring local culture, nature highlights and area history to kick off the foliage season, held in conjunction with numerous St. Johnsbury organizations. Upwards of 2,000 to 3,000 visitors and residents take part in the festivities.
- Business Celebration - A luncheon to celebrate our local business accomplishments. About 20 business representatives give a brief presentation of their recent achievements. A “Business Person of the Year” is also awarded. Held in November.
- Citizen of the Year - Held each spring. Celebrates the good deeds of a local citizen. Nominations are sought the beginning of each year.
- Super Raffle - The chamber’s biggest fund-raiser, held in July, with more than $5,000 raised for the chamber in one night. 100 tickets are sold, with each ticket holder receiving a prize. A fun evening of friends, food and prizes.
- Ribbon Cuttings - Held on an ongoing basis, to celebrate businesses opening in the area.
- Business Roundtable Sessions - Issues-related forums, giving companies the opportunity to address business concerns that the chamber may help to address. Held as needed.
- Membership Benefit Forums - Highlighting the many advantages of NEK Chamber membership. Held as needed.
- After-Hours Mixers - Held quarterly at member businesses. Includes music, food and prizes.
- And many other events and activities.
SAVING MONEY / PURCHASING POWER / POWER IN NUMBERS
Additional benefits include:
- Dental Plan with one of New England’s largest carriers, Northeast Delta Dental.
- Low-Cost Supplemental Benefits Plan with one of the nation’s largest such insurance companies, Worksite Solutions (the only chamber in the state to offer the plan).
- Low-Cost Long Distance and Local-Service Telephone Services with the Connect One plan (one of the only chambers in the state to offer this plan).
- Identity-Theft Program.
- Use of the chamber bulk-mail permit number for bulk mailings, which saves members money. If you have a mailing of a newsletter, notice of an event or something similar being sent to a large audience, we may be able to reduce the cost of postage with the use of our standard mail permit.
- Certificate of Origination Verification Services, for members wishing to ship items or products out of the country.
- Member-to-Member Discounts, with member businesses giving discounts for services to their fellow chamber members.
- Networking possibilities at chamber mixers and our many events.
- Low-Cost Advertising co-op possibilities in chamber publications and co-op ads. Notices are sent to membership throughout the year. They include trade shows, print ads and on-line promotions. Most opportunities are annual so if you miss a promotion you might have an interest in, let us know and we will contact you the next time it becomes available.
- Membership Labels at a nominal cost. Members can purchase labels of the membership for use in their own mailings.
- NEK Chamber Membership Discounts to those bringing in new memberships. If you recommend chamber membership to another business, be sure they mention it to us. It will give you a reduced rate in dues the next year. And, the more members you refer, the more of a discount you get.
- Grant-support Letters, for those seeking alternative funding. If you are in need of a support letter, please contact us.
- Member Advocacy, supporting you close to home and in the capital. If you have a cause or issue you would like the chamber to assist you with, please contact us.
- Fuel Discount Plan
If you have questions or would like to discuss any of these opportunities contact us at the chamber office.
Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Northeast Kingdom Chamber of Commerce
2000 Memorial Drive, Suite 11
Green Mountain Mall
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
(802) 748-3678, fax 748-0731